Re: Source window stack tabs

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:12 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Mike> Here is a screenshot of some local work involving multi-Task stack
> Mike> unwinding in the source window. The stack traces for each thread are
> Mike> displayed in their own tab in a Notebook widget.
>
> Mike> I'm looking for any usability or other suggestions!
>
> In Eclipse I think multiple threads are represented using a tree view,
> instead of via tabs.  One way this is nice is that you can easily see
> a couple threads at the same time.  This would also mean that the
> repeated "tid:" strings would use less screen real estate.

Not a bad idea, since we're going to have problems with the number tabs
taking up a lot of the window since they don't scale down in size when
there are a lot of them. Running the SourceWindow on a process which has
twenty threads means you'd have to seriously enlarge the stack view in
order to see them all.

> Some processes may have a notion of a thread name.  It may be nice to
> display that when possible.  E.g., java-created threads all have a
> name; they are also organized hierarchically into thread groups, which
> could be displayed in a tree view.  (I realize this info may not be
> readily available right now...)

Well the Monitor has been working on (finished? I'm not sure) getting
the thread entry function listed for each thread of the process. Which
is just grabbing some information out of the unwind. Something similar
could be done here too.

- Mike