Re: minutes 2006-09-26

Wu Zhou wrote:
Stan,

Thanks for the minutes. All of us in China will begin the vacation starting from 10/1... will get back at around 10/8.

Phil,

we are also interested in fcore and other little utilities, we are very happy to know if there are any progress on that.

Stan Cox wrote:
Good morning.

The work has just begun, here is what I am doing. I am reading up on the ELF Spec found here:

http://www.freestandards.org/spec/book/ELF-generic/

and also looking at how the kernel dumps the core.

The first part, and possibly the easier to accomplish (I might regret saying this) is writing out the core file from a running process. If we assume a core file is:

- elf header
- segment table
- .notes segment
- writable segments from maps

then we have a lot of that information already being modeled in the frysk-core. What we don't have is .notes section. Have to study the composition of that, and where that information can be derived from.

Problems blocking core file writing at the moment:

- We have to block all tasks in a proc first. Mike Cvet is working/looking at that right now, but the mechanism is not there yet. All tasks have to be blocked to make sure the core is a snapshot of the process at that time.

- .Notes. What goes in and how do we access that information?

I expect fcore will mirror the fstack/ftrace programs in structure.

Further on the down the line is the reading of core-files into the frysk-core, and modeled there (so the ui, or other utilities can inspect it). As a core is not part of the system that frysk is modeling, we have to construct a place for a read and constructed core-file to co-exist. This probably means constructing:

DeadLinuxHost
DeadLinuxProc
DeadLinuxTask

All of those would have the same common superclass as thier "live" counterparts, though I expect a substantially reduced api, and few if any states.

So that is a 5 minutes status of the work ahead, and where I am at this time. Hope that helps!

Regards

Phil