Re: [patch]why not follow CFLAGS when using $CC in some packages of frysk?

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 15:26 +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 08:36:05PM +0800, Yong Zheng wrote:
> > In frysk, no CFLAGS is followed in some packages, such as elfutils and
> > libunwind, when the $(CC) is used.
>
> these are external packages, which we cannot directly influence.
Yes, both elfutils and libunwind are upstream packages. So it may be
difficult for us to inflence these two packages. :-)

> We can have local patches as a short-time solution.  But it is
> supposed that the patches won't accumulate, they should be pushed
> upstream.

Altough it's one good solution to have local patches, it may be not so
preferable because nobody know whether these local patches will
accumulate or not. So it seems that we have to get other ways to do
this.

> Sometimes there are other solutions possible though:
> When building frysk for Fedora Core, I faced certain problems with
> the build system of elfutils (another problem with CFLAGS).
> I was not able to convince Roland (the maintainer of elfutils) to
> accept a solution for the problem.

It's a bad news(at least to us)! But the CFLAGS should do be referred
when CC is used. If not, we have to pass CC="gcc -m64" instead of
CFLAGS="-m64" to configure when we want to build 64-bit frysk. This
works well now but brings some trouble to us when adding bi-arch test
support for PPC64. We're not sure whether this will bring more trouble
in future.

> But fortunatley, the long-term
> plan for frysk on Fedora Core is to use elfutils as an external
> package, skipping the copy embedded in frysk---and that way my
> problem with elfutils' build system will simply disappear.
> (Well, I'm afraid this success story won't help you much...)
Although this success story won't help us much on the problem, it's
helpful for us. Thanks! we will search other ways to do this.

Best regards
Yong Zheng