pty doesn't get closed when a shell is attached

So I create a Pty class and make vte it's master. Everything works fine.
But when I do
Manager.host.requestCreateAttachedProc(ptyname, ptyname, ptyname, new String[] {"/bin/sh"},
new TaskObserver.Attached()
{....
and exit frysk, the pty just hangs there (as does the shell, but that's not surprising). I don't see how something using a pty from the slave end could keep it alive... Something I'm doing wrong in that line? Ideas?
thanks