About libunwind and dogtail

Hello Andrew and all,

We talked about libunwind and dogtail for ppc64 before. I am recently taking some look into these two. I would like to post my current understanding here for your review. If there are anything wrong or missing, please point out and correct me. Thanks a lot!

For dogtail, it is writen in python, based on accessibility technology. It will use at-spi to communicate with the AT-supporting GNOME (or other GUI) application. From the point of theory/design, all of them are platform independent. But from the point of practice, all these package (GNOME, at-spi, pyspi, dogtail) are receving much less attention on ppc64 than on x86. So our point is that we need to test them on ppc64 and try to find how it works on this platform. We will aslo work with upstream package maintainers to fix exposed defects. Is my understanding right?

About libunwind, there are some platform dependent feature. My understanding is that it initiated from ia64 platform and are now being ported to x86 platform. On ia64, it support local unwind, remote unwind (I guess this is what interests frysk most, right?), ptrace stop and resume, get proc/register information... In my opinion, quite some of these features are platform dependent. Do we need to port all these functionality to other platforms (x86, ppc64 or x86-64)? I run a make check on x86 platform, it reported 13 of 24 tests failed. There are some segmentation fault and also some failure of unw_step. So I guess libunwind is not very mature on x86 yet and not all features are ported to x86 too. My opinion is that we need only port what is needed by frysk first. So I have a quesiton here: in what way is libunwind expected to be used in frysk? I guess it surely includes different process unwind on the same machine. But will it includes remote process unwind on a different machine/target? Getting the answer for these is very helpful for us to focus on high-priority work item.

Regards
- Wu Zhou