Re: Core logging from the UI

Andrew Cagney wrote:
Phil Muldoon wrote:
To aid us in debugging, we've add a feature to start Core logging from the UI. This aids in tracing down the event sequence of the sometimes very complex UI requests to/from the Core.

To enable Core logging when using the UI, you will need a logging.properties file in your ~/.frysk directory. In there you need to set the log level that you wish to see.

Very very nice, this is going to make debugging so much easier.
Just a though, would it be possible to extend this so that, like for TestRunner, << -c FINE >> and << -l FINE >> work, or perhaps have it controllable via a menu? I think both of those would help make the mechanism more UNIX rather than Java like.

Yep, next step is to make log level controllable via a menu. Should not be too difficult.

As a little segway, last night I added a developer-debug tool that allows you to view logs dynamically in a structured window as the come in from the Core and the GUI.

Here is an image from this morning:

http://sourceware.org/frysk/images/DynamicCoreLogView.png

This is already in the cvs head. To turn it on, add:

frysk.core.debug.WindowHandler.level = FINE

To your ~/.frysk/logging.properties

All experimental code caveats apply ;)

Regards

Phil