Re: Register window workflow / potential advanced features

Hi,

I have some questions and comments on this.

PS: I am very new to this kind of work (I mean GUI developing, workflow
design), if there are any stupid errors in my comments, please forgive and
correct me.  :-)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Rick Moseley wrote:

> Adam Jocksch wrote:
> > Adam Jocksch wrote:
> > > The register window has been updated, and I've updated the frysk website
> > > to include a workflow for the register window:
> > > http://sourceware.org/frysk/workflow/register/
> > >
> > > Eventually, we would like to be able to some more advanced things with the
> > > register window, such as:
> > > - Display groups of registers
> > > - Display vector - formatted registers

Sorry, what do you mean by vector - formatted registers?

> > > - Treating register values as addresses (display value at address)
> > > - ?
> > A few more:
> > - highlighting changed register values
> > - 'freezing' the register window (i.e. creating a snapshot)

Maybe we can go further to copy the snapshot into a clipboard?

> - showing real-time values

Sorry, can you explain a little about real-time?  Did it means to update
the values of each registers after each actions?  That is great I believe.

> - if the register contains an address, show the name of the function it is
> pointing to
> - if the register contains an address, show the source line of the instruction
> it points to

Maybe we can first determine which section this address belongs to, to
say, code section, stack section, heap section and so on.  If the
address belongs to code section, we can try to display the function /
source line; if it belong to stack / heap section, we can try to
display the variable / data structure it points to.

> - if a register changes, show what instruction changed it

What about displaying each flags in the status registers (such as EFLAGS,
MSR - machine status register, FPSCR -floating point status control register
and so on), and also update which flags is changed and which instruction
does that?  I believe this is very helpful to track problems.

Thanx
- Wu Zhou