Frysk Core Schemas

Being until now primarily a contributor to the GUI side of the Frysk
project, I decided to take somewhat of a 360 view and look behind the
curtain, at the core and sys modules.

Working on the GUI-side work-flows - and also in the meantime - trying
to understand the conceptual workings of the core beyond the API, it
occurs to me that a visualization technique would be wonderful in the
core too. The core based state machine is deeply complex - and tracing
task and process transitions extremely tricky at times, given the
limited native debugging tools at our disposal.

I begun to think that some form of Visualizing Modeling Hierarchy would
be of tremendous use. Something along the lines of a UML mapping of the
core, and perhaps to a lesser degree the sys module. I wonder if some
tool is out there to give us a jump-start on what is out there (auto
generation?) and just allow us to maintain the standard.

The whole work-flow exercise has taught me that it improves the
estimation and cost accuracy to alter the current UI flow, and how
complex it would be to transition to another. Some flows require
somewhat of a complete re-basing of the code (the recent example post by
Sami being the case; they are more long term projects, but the
work-flows provide a guiding light of where to be 6/12/24 months from
now).

I've looked at the UML modeling concept a bit, and while not perfect,
seems to fit the bill, at least a little bit. It would hopefully flatten
the learning curve in the long term. This would also be the case for the
middle-ware managers that exist in the UI.

Any thoughts on this? Are there ways to better map out these modules?

All comments are welcome ;)

Thanks

Phil Muldoon