Re: Using Eclipse with Frysk

Rick Moseley wrote:
Wu Zhou wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Rick Moseley wrote:

Hi all,

Someone asked on #frysk the other day about using Eclipse to work on Frysk and
suggested we add some how-to detail to the Frysk webpage. I told them I was
using it, although in a somewhat degraded manner. For a number of reasons,
Eclipse cannot be used to totally build Frysk, but it can be a great help in
writing/modifying any Java code despite what the emacs pushers say. :)

Yes. I have similar feeling as you. I found it most useful in reading Java code. This can help me to understand Frysk's code. :-)

BTW, can you elaborate a little on why Eclipse can't be used to build Frysk? Is the building process of Frysk one of the reason? I guess Eclipse can't emulate the building process Frysk is using. But I am not very sure. I am very new to Eclipse indeed.
That is pretty much the problem in a nutshell. Eclipse does not play well with projects generated with the "autotools" method we are using in Frysk. There is an effort underway within Red Hat right now on the Eclipse development team to write a plugin that will make Eclipse more friendly with autotools projects. We'll keep an eye on that to see if Frysk can utilize it.
Why wait!

Very early on I got frysk building from within Eclipse using a few basic custom builders. I abandoned the effort when I found the Eclipse I had crashed before I could use it to do anything useful, hopefully that aspect has improved.

Given how simple what I did was (it was knocked up in a few hours, less if you ignore the crashes ;-), creating something similar should be easy. For a reference implementation I'd look at CLASSPATH; simply adopting their mechanism may even be possible. Of course getting this working may require a few tweaks to our build system, for instance:
-- autogen.sh's behavior isn't right: should also run configure; and handle a relative path
-- consistency between where eclipse and frysk put the jar files could save a few steps (but might also prove dangerous)

Andrew