Re: the results of TestRunner on PPC64/FC5

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Wu Zhou wrote:
> In directory frysk-core, there are four case failures:
>
> frysk.proc.TestI386Modify,
> frysk.proc.TestI386Regs,
> frysk.proc.TestSyscallOpen and
> frysk.proc.TestSyscallInterrupt
>
> [root@plinuxt2 frysk-core]# ./TestRunner frysk.proc.TestSyscallInterrupt
> Running testSyscallInterrupt(frysk.proc.TestSyscallInterrupt) ...ptrace: Input/output error
> [root@plinuxt2 frysk-core]# ./TestRunner frysk.proc.TestSyscallOpen
> Running testSyscallOpen(frysk.proc.TestSyscallOpen) ...ptrace: Input/output error
> [root@plinuxt2 frysk-core]# ./TestRunner frysk.proc.TestI386Modify
> Running testI386Modify(frysk.proc.TestI386Modify) ...ptrace: Input/output error
> [root@plinuxt2 frysk-core]# ./TestRunner frysk.proc.TestI386Regs
> Running testI386Regs(frysk.proc.TestI386Regs) ...ptrace: Input/output error
>
> Didn't look into these failure yet.  Just post the problems here for
> recording.  If anyone could give me any hints, that will be much appreciated!
> :-)

I made a little analysis on these failure.  And find these EIO error of
ptrace come from the fact that member function sendrecIsa of LinuxTask is
hard-coded to call LinuxIa32.isaSingleton ().  So maybe we need to change
this?

First, sendrecIsa need to be dependent on the target ISA.  This can be
ia32, x86-64, ppc64, or some others maybe.

Second, we need to add a class named LinuxPPC64 to extend Isa to support
PPC64 (maybe a class named LinuxX86-64 is also needed.  I am not very sure
though).  But I have a few question here:

A. what is the bank intended to represent in class Register?  I see that
all the registers in LinuxIa32 set its bank to 0.

B. class Isa seems to be not completed yet.  So what is it intended to
cover? ISA dependent features? or even include OS specific stuff? I see
there is a segment of comment, saying:

/**
 * Instruction Set Architecture.
 *
 * XXX: This ISA object needs to be re-organized; perhaphs an OsIsa
 * object with nested members for the ISA, the OS, et.al.
 */

So Frysk is also intended to support other OS?  I had thought that it is
only for Linux.

And what is label "XXX" intended to represent?  In my knowledge, that
place is usually occupied by the author name.  :-)

BTW.  I also see XXX is used in many other places, such as
host.requestRefreshXXX, host.observableProcRemovedXXX.addObserver, and
so on...  Any intention on that?

Regards
- Wu Zhou

P.S: I ask a lot of questions in one mail.  Forgive me if it overwhelms.
I am curious indeed.  :-)