Re: Dropping FC4 as platform

Elena Zannoni wrote:

Since we are close to enabling 64-bit builds, and given FC5 is about to
be come out, let's drop FC4 as a supported platform.

If anybody out there is worried about FC4, they are welcome to submit
patches to keep frysk working on it, but we are not going to worry
about it. As the compiler gets more fixes and better debuginfo
support, it will become harder and harder to backport those to FC4, as
well.

Elena, here's a brief breakdown:

ptrace-exec gcj-gc gcj Java-GNOME
FC-5 broken(1) broken(3) ok ok
FC-4 broken|ok(2) ok broken(4) mega-rpm(5)
RHEL4 ok ok ok mega-rpm
badger ? ? broken(6) missing(6)

(1) ptrace, when the non-main thread does an exec, is broken; on FC-5 blocker list?
(2) see (1); broke it latest kernel; workaround is to avoid the latest kernel
(3) the garbage collector deadlocks; fix looming
(4) FC-4 gcj is missing fixes found on RHEL-4; workaround by building installing RHEL-4 gcj snapshot
(5) Assuming (4) installed; the RHEL-4 mega-rpm can be built and installed
(6) Breezy Badger needs both upstream compiler, and upstream Java-GNOME bindings to build.

So as soon as those two remaining FC-5 issues are fixed (I think gcj-gc is about to go through); I'd agree that we can switch.