Re: EL/IX Stands for?

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > Embedded Linux/POSIX.
>
> This suggests its going to be tied to Linux when in fact the API could
> and will be implemented on other OSs such as eCos. I can see from a
> marketing and opensource viewpoint its good to have Linux in there but
> you don't want to make people think its limit to just Linux.

I'm sure there's an element of that :-). But there is a technical rationale
- there are areas of useful functionality in Linux that aren't in POSIX. Or
there are certain things where the implementation can behave in different,
but equally standards-compliant ways.

When that happens, the general principle would be to follow the behaviour of
Linux. Not Solaris, or SCO, or anything else. Linux.

Of course there would be times when maintaining 100% semantic compatibility
with Linux would be silly for an embedded system. That's one of the reasons
this list exists - to define and refine the API so we get a consensus on
what these types of things would be.

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...