Re: 0.161 elfutils test are failing on Linux Arch

On 01/16/2015 08:02 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 06:12 -0800, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Mark Wielaard <mjw@redhat.com> wrote:
>>> Awesome! BTW. Which architecture and what are the two SKIPPED tests?
>>>
>> I have x86_64 and the skipped tests are
>>
>> SKIP: run-backtrace-native-core.sh
>> SKIP: run-backtrace-native-core-biarch.sh
>
> OK. That would happen if the system doesn't create core dump files in
> the working directory. Those tests try to create a core dump and then
> inspect it. They SKIP the test if the core file isn't generated for some
> reason.

I also get this on Fedora 21 thanks to systemd-coredump.

>> I get "Operation not permitted", my understanding that in this case user
>> should use sudo.
>
> Hmmm. That sounds pretty bad from a security perspective. So you
> basically have to have root to do any process introspection? That means
> eu-stack -p probably also only works when run with root privileges.

Security folks don't trust ptrace.  Fedora has the deny_ptrace selinux
bool too, but thankfully that's off by default.
(yay double negative... deny is off -> ptrace is allowed)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SELinuxDenyPtrace