Re: elfutils buglet ...

Hi Linas,

> On 19 May 2011 06:11, Mark Wielaard <mjw@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 12:53 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > Using "=" for assigning symbols is normal gas usage.
>
> Its gas. The core problem is that the instruction set itself uses
> equals signs liberally to do register-register and register-memory
> assignments. An example snippet (generated by gcc) below -- as
> should be clear, differentiating between different uses of equals
> signs would be ... unpleasant.
>
> I'd provide a patch; it would have to be to configure.ac, etc. but
> Ulrich's comments suggest that it might not be worth the effort :-/
> Suggestions?

I get the feeling I am missing some background.
Which architecture is this?
Are the ports already upstream in binutils/gas/gcc?
Do you also have a new elfutils ebl backend for it?
After your changes, how well does the testsuite work?

I am a little afraid the configure logic might become somewhat
fragile. Ulrich's suggestion to just use a different syntax for
your instruction set does make sense to me.

Thanks,

Mark