Re: pmachata.threads branch status

> I started doing some work on making libdw thread-safe, based on rough
> outline I've gotten back in June.  Overall approach is to have a lock
> per Dwarf, and rdlock/wrlock that as appropriate if work is done with
> data structure "descended" from that given Dwarf. [E.g. lock would be
> taken like this: rwlock_rdlock (attr->cu->dbg->lock);]

That's the right approach.  I haven't reviewed the code yet.

How much more work do you think there is in the libdw portion (not
including libdwfl)?  If it's only a few days then keep at it.  But
priorities have shifted so that we don't want to commit much more time to
the thread-safety work right now.

With the demise of Frysk as an active driver, thread-safety has fallen down
lower on the list for elfutils priorities.  The long-term goals for that
haven't changed and we will want this work finished and merged at some
point.  But all the top-priority goals now are batch-processing uses that
aren't helped by the thread-safety work.  By next week I hope to be getting
organized about our roadmap and specific tasks for the elfutils work that
is most needed.

Thanks,
Roland