Re: __attribute__((unused)) on function

> I want to go even one step further: always require and use __thread.

That's fine (I'll patch it in the portable branch).

However, I do want to hold off for a while before unconditionally switching
on the locking code that requires -lpthread.  I just don't want the risk of
any unexpected fallout from this during the F11 cycle where we are already
overwhelmed with the DWARF work.  We still don't expect any time very soon
to have anything actually relying on the thread safety, so I don't think
there is any hurry.  I'm worried about side effects from -lpthread suddenly
appearing in miscellaneous things that use -lelf.  Not that we can't iron
those out, but we just don't need more chaos right now.

Thanks,
Roland