Re: MiniDebugInfo support

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 13:57 +0100, Martin Milata wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 13:34:33 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > >
> > > That is entirely understandable. Regarding RPM, I don't know. I asked
> > > the author of the minidebuginfo proposal but he does not know either.
> >
> > Probably best to just resubmit it and specifically ask for feedback.
> > If you have a pointer to the submission and reviews of the feature from
> > last time that would be appreciated.
>
> I asked the RPM package maintainer and the situation seems to be the
> same as here -- they don't want to merge it upstream until is more
> widely adopted/used.

Thanks for looking into this. It seems only gdb is working on
integrating this feature ATM. I'll want to wait and see how the
discussion unfolds there before adopting it for elfutils:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gdb.patches/80846
It looks like they are also writing a technical specification for the
feature, which would be very welcome, since at the moment I have to
guess at some of it (why are some of the ELF notes in the compressed ELF
for example, are you supposed to cross-check they match?)

Thanks,

Mark