Re: [patch] Add printing of .gdb_index section to readelf

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 08:54 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Ulrich> The best solution in that case is to have gdb provide
> Ulrich> the decoder.
>
> It does, in the form of binutils readelf --debug-dump=gdb_index.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Note that the version of binutils
readelf on fedora doesn't support it atm, but binutils trunk does.

The output seems to match that of eu-readelf --debug-dump=gdb_index, so
at least I understood the format just like binutils does. I like the
eu-readelf output a little better, but that is mainly because I wrote
it. But one advantage is that in the address table all addresses are
printed with matching symbols whenever possible.

Do you think it makes sense to support printing this format, or will you
be arbitrarily changing it from time to time? Having it more prominently
documented would be nice.

It looks to me we would like to support it for other tools, or at least
figure out what the deficiencies were with the other dwarf indexes so we
can improve them to make them more useful to other dwarf consumers.

Thanks,

Mark