Re: 0.161 elfutils test are failing on Linux Arch

On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 06:12 -0800, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Mark Wielaard <mjw@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Awesome! BTW. Which architecture and what are the two SKIPPED tests?
> >
> I have x86_64 and the skipped tests are
>
> SKIP: run-backtrace-native-core.sh
> SKIP: run-backtrace-native-core-biarch.sh

OK. That would happen if the system doesn't create core dump files in
the working directory. Those tests try to create a core dump and then
inspect it. They SKIP the test if the core file isn't generated for some
reason.

> > I'll try to code something up and if you could test that, that would be
> > awesome.
> >
> Thanks. The patch works great. All tests are passed now.

Thanks for testing. I pushed the patch to master.

> > But... This is really workarounds for the testcases. Then we know the
> > functionality works as intended. Except when a real user uses the dwfl
> > attach library calls or eu-stack binary...
> >
> > So we probably need to figure out how to really fix this. How do other
> > tools and libraries work? What if a user wants to see why firefox is
> > wonky and does a strace -p $(pidof firefox) or gstack $(pidof firefox).
> > Are those tools also broken by default on Arch? Or do they use some
> > other trick to work properly?
> >

> I get "Operation not permitted", my understanding that in this case user
> should use sudo.

Hmmm. That sounds pretty bad from a security perspective. So you
basically have to have root to do any process introspection? That means
eu-stack -p probably also only works when run with root privileges.

Cheers,

Mark