Write access to CVS via ssh+cvs

Disclaimer: its been many, many years since I really used CVS, and
I've never used a remote server except for anonymous checkouts.

I'm trying to set up ssh+cvs access following the instructions I got
from root@sourceware.org, but I get this:

  $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
  $ cvs -z9 -d :ext:grante@sourceware.org:/cvs/ecos co ecos
  Permission denied (publickey).
  cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

I don't recall ever setting up a public key, so I tried that:

  $ ssh sourceware.org appendkey < id_rsa.pub
  Permission denied (publickey).

I'm not sure what to do next.  How do you set up a public key without
having already set up a public key?

--
Grant