Re: Deprecating eCos 2.0

Gary Thomas wrote:
Can we make the automated download tool (ecos-install.tcl) use
a CVS snapshot instead of the old 2.0?  It would solve so many
"I'm using 2.0 ..." issues if this was the default.

Note: I don't care if it still downloads the old tools (which
are also labeled 2.0) as for the most part, they don't get
in the way.

It's certainly possible. Not a great message in one sense, but it would do the job for now. Despite not much in the way of QA, it's arguably less relevant to commend 2.0.

But if we did, it would still want a version number distinct from true CVS, i.e. instead of "current" for packages. Perhaps something like 2.1a-cvs or 2.1a-interim? We'd also need a doc rebuild to make sense. Similarly what about the prebuilt configtool and ecosconfig? The only prebuilt versions that work with cygwin are on ecoscentric's site.

So even a quicky respin isn't quite trivial but it wouldn't take long. Not something to announce with a fanfare though.

Jifl