Re: Assignment query & tree organization

andrea michelotti wrote:
Hi,
I already sent a mail to devel mailing list asking how to insert a new
target into eCos source tree.
Gary Thomas answered me and I think there is no problem to sign a copyright
assignment if needed.
Now I would like to evaluate the effort to get the contribution accepted
into the tree.
Let me resume what I did for our new processor in this way you can estimate
the distance between what I did in the ecos tree and what you expect:
1) I created a new hal entry called diopsis/arch (part number:AT572D740)
this is essentially a copy of arm/arch with modifications in vector.S and
some vector routines for the DSP. Some other modifications are planned to
extend diopsis capabilities.

I don't know much about the Diopsis, but from what I see it contains an ARM7 with a DSP. If eCos is running on the DSP itself that would want its own HAL, but I would surmise that it's running on the ARM but prodding the DSP and providing access to it. It's not clear to me why this would require a separate architecture HAL, rather than providing a way for variant processor HALs to extend the architecture HAL in the way you would want.

The advantage is that the ARM HAL gets a lot more attention and so the Diopsis will get any improvements and fixes that come for the ARM HAL if it uses it. If the Diopsis has its own architecture tree, it would not get those benefits, and so would lose out on those improvements unless someone notices. So it would be beneficial to keep them together if it is sensible to do so.

2) I created a new hal entry called diopsis/atjtst that contains the code
for two platforms that use diopsis. Most of code is derived from the
AT91(EB0) porting.

Were you using eCos v2.0 or more recent CVS? The AT91 HALs had some substantial work and improvements done to them since eCos v2.

Jifl