Re: Problem with cygwin 1.5.* (newest) and gdb 5.3 (prebuild)

eCos maintainers

Berenyi Balazs wrote:

I just started playing with GNU tools and Atmel EB40.

As you have writen i have installed cygwin and downloaded
prebuild gnutools.

I wanted to upload redbood to the EB40, but it did not worked
as you documented. I could not connect with GDB to Angel.

As i found this is becouse of some changes in Cygwin.

See more (and the patch for GDB) on :
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-09/msg00290.html
There was some conversation about this problem.

Please make a note on your (very good) step-by-step tutorial
to use an _older_cygwin_.

Please note that this is my first touch on GNU tools and my first
error report.

The most significant implication is that Windows users using Cygwin 1.5.x will be unable to perform an initial installation of RedBoot on Atmel AT91EB* boards. The Cygwin net installer still provides Cygwin 1.3.22 but there are already Cygwin packages which require Cygwin 1.5.x so we cannot reasonably insist that eCos users stick with Cygwin 1.3.x.

I suggest that we add an appropriate arm-elf-gdb patch to the list of patches which should be applied when building an eCos toolchain.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited