Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?

FSF General Contact Address wrote:
Dear eCos team,

About a month ago, you wrote to us with interest in becoming part of the
GNU project, and questions about what would be necessary to do so.  I have
not heard from you since.  If you could just let me know what has come of
this so far -- if you've come to a decision one way or the other, have
further questions, are still considering the issue, or whatever else -- I
would appreciate a quick note.

No problem. We are indeed keen to go forward with this.

If it is of any help, I would like to point out that we would be happy to
help negotiate copyright and licensing issues with Red Hat, particularly on
the documentation, if we are able to obtain copyright on the software.

The issue is indeed the documentation currently under the Open Publication Licence. If you can bring what influence you have to bear on this it would be great. Right now, despite sending to a range of people, with several reminders, I've been quite disappointed to receive absolutely no response, not even an acknowledgement.

If you could contact whoever you feel would be best to help, please do so, and if we can help with this in any way, just ask.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, by the way, as discussed before, we are unable to do anything about Red Hat's copyright on the software, but, since the current licence is GPL+special exception, that was okay by the FSF.... in future the software would end up being dual licenced FSF and Red Hat. Of course it would be pointless for Red Hat to maintain their copyright in such a situation, but there's little we can do about that.

Also, if you have not yet made a decision, I would appreciate if you could
answer a quick question of ours.  We were wondering if people use GNU
software with eCos -- have a GNU/eCos system, in other words -- and if so,
how common it is to use GNU software with eCos.  Any examples of such
systems you could refer us to would be helpful as well.

I've heard very isolated examples of GNU software being used with eCos, but not really many yet as a) we were only GPL compatible until just over a year ago and previously were explicitly incompatible (and haven't had a major release since that change until right now!); and b) we've still to provide some of the more common system infrastructure components that GNU systems provide.... remember that in our world, we don't even always have filesystems! We intend to redress this "shortly", but of course as ever it's a volunteer effort :-).

Jifl