Re: new redboot HAL ported for Motorola DragonBall DBMX1 ads board

Cannon Chuck-ra3383 wrote:
Jonathan,

No, this did not happen.  There is no way we can get this by the
lawyers here at Motorola.  We have only done the RedBoot port for a
development board used mostly internal to Motorola.  The port will not
go to customers or be used in any customer oriented product.  We give
the source away to anyone that obtains the binary and would be more
than happy to send you the source code (with no copyrights in the
source) but we don't feel we will be able to get that doc signed.  It
would be nice for our port to be included in your repository so our
customers could use it in products. Any suggestions?  Remember, we're
just the engineers here (not management or lawyers) and Motorola is a
big bureaucracy.

A not unfamiliar problem :-|. Would it be acceptable to the lawyers for you to put the code you've written in the public domain (in the legal sense)? Or even under the "modified" BSD licence (i.e. BSD with no advertising clause). We may still be able to do something if it is PD or licensed in that way, although the assignment is normally "safer" which is why it is the preferred option.

However I'll still need to check with the rest of the eCos maintainers whether this "workaround" would be acceptable anyway (CC'd).

Jifl