Re: Future code ownership

Andrew Lunn wrote:
1) No copyright assignments at all. This is like the Linux kernel. The admin overhead is reduced, as well as the hassle factor for contributors. However the ownership of the code is called into question, and there is a risk that code that is contributed may not be the copyright owners - think of the corporate disclaimer thing we have. Certainly the FSF are against it for these types of reasons, and they are the acknowledged experts in this field. Once this decision is made it can never be revoked. Definitely no potential licence revenue.

I don't think assignments are that much of a burden on the
contributer,
Personally I agree, but I know others think differently.

> but i would try to ensure its a case of sign it once, it
lasts indefinatly. Having to redo the assignment everytime was APITA.
Absolutely. We just modify the existing form.

We know RH had the infrastucture in place to handle these
assignments. What about the other options. Does SPI Inc already have
this infrastructure? Do any of its other projects require such
assignments? How quickly are they processed?
No, they have no infrastructure, we would have to handle them ourselves. I'll volunteer FWIW. I'd probably set up a PO Box so any other maintainery people would be able to take over "just in case".

Jifl
--
eCosCentric http://www.eCosCentric.com/ <info@eCosCentric.com>
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine