Re: Future code ownership

Gary Thomas wrote:
On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 09:42, Andrew Lunn wrote:

5) A new not-for-profit organisation, e.g. "the eCos foundation". There is considerable difficulty for non-USers to set this up, and the process can take upwards of 6 months I believe. There may also be tedious obligations and overhead like accounts, board meetings, blah blah. Plus without any experience we may need lawyers, and therefore fees, etc. as well as any other charges for setting it up.
What about the English equivalent? I guess that means getting Charity
status. Have you look at this option? I guess it still needs lawyers
etc.
Yes, Jonathan looked into this at length.  It did not seem to be
a very workable (hardly possible) solution.
Indeed, the summary was that it was a) very unlikely that an open source project could be considered a sufficiently good work for the purposes of being designated a charity, and b) out of the question for any money from licence revenue to be used in the way we'd want it.

Jifl
--
eCosCentric http://www.eCosCentric.com/ <info@eCosCentric.com>
--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine