eCos Configuration Tool clewan and rebuild

I have inherited a project based on eCos 2.0.98 and have reached a point
where I need to rebuild my library.  Most of the folks who originally
worked on this project are no longer with the company and our internal
documentation is scarce at best.

My understanding is that the eCos Configuration Tool is used to make
changes to a .ecc file, and then to use this file to build the library.
I have located the .ecc file for my project and have attempted to
rebuild the library but something seems to be amiss.  I see the
extras.o, libextras.a and libtarget.a files in _install/lib change but
the target.ld and vectors.o files remain unchanged.  On one of my
changes I updated linker-related files for my hardware in the eCos
repository, but the linker files never seem to be regenerated.  If I
manually delete target.ld and rebuild the library then a new linker file
is created.

Is there something I'm missing here?  I have tried cleaning and then
building but nothing seems to make a difference to the linker file.

Michael