Re: Specific needs on stm32

Hi Valentin

On 20.01.2014 17:12, Valentin BOUSSON wrote:
> Hi all, I'm fresh and new on this mailing list,
> and in the world of real embedded systems, actually.
>
> I bought a STM32F4 - DISCOVERY board to play with, and I succeeded to
> compile and run a lot of simple, led / LCD / audio project I found
> online. I was using the Sourcery arm compile chain for that.
>
> But my next ambition is little harder, I would like to adapt one of my
> existing program, based on a plugin-mechanism, on my stm32. So, I was
> looking for an RTOS being able to manage a simple system, in the Flash
> memory, or in an external SD card.
>

> I tried to set up the compilation environnement described in the big
> pdf describing eCos, and on the Download & Installation section on the
> website, I tried all the day, without any result.
> Do you have some good links / tuto / advices to share ?

You need to get eCos from CVS (that I prefer to call "the rolling release").
Here you'll find info how to access CVS
http://ecos.sourceware.org/anoncvs.html

Also you can try eCos arm-eabi GNU tools - test release 4.6.3
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2012-06/msg00047.html
that comes with support for hardware floating point.

> My questions are :
> Is it possible to use the compilation chain generated by
> summon-arm-toolchain, to compile eCos itself ?

I haven't tried it.

> What about the programs I would like to run on top of eCos ?

What would you like to run?
With this little information, I can just say that porting POSIX
applications is relatively straight forward.

> If I store my programs in the Flash, how can I reprogram the flash to
> change only the program, and not the kernel ?

Kernel is in general being linked with application. However it is
possible to create dynamically loadable libraries.
Also, you can install RedBoot and then use it for loading applications.

> IYO, is eCOS the best OS to choose for my project ? // Are its dynamic

No one can tell you what's best for your project. But IMHO, eCos is
worth for consideration.
I encourage you to try it.

Have fun

Ilija