From: Sergei Gavrikov [mailto:sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:13 AM
To: Uwe Kindler
Cc: ecos-discuss@sourceware.org; Buehler, Fabian
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Re: Wrong character set in Cofiguration Tool

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, Uwe Kindler wrote:

> Hi Fabian,
>
> I have no solution for this problem but I can confirm that it also
> exists on Windows 7. The problem occures for warnings and errors. Here
> is an example of console output with warnings:
>
> cc1: warning: command line option ÃâË-Woverloaded-virtualÃââ is valid
> for
> C++/ObjC++ but not for C [enabled by default]
> cc1: warning: command line option ÃâË-fno-rttiÃââ is valid for
> C++/ObjC++ but not for C [enabled by default]
>
> > Hi
> > The console output of the configuration tool prints out strange symbols.
> > It looks like that there is a wrong character set used! Has anybody
> > an idea how to fix that?
> >
> > I'm running the configuration tool on Windows XP with cygwin!
> >
> > Regards Fabian

Hi

That is just the quotes in UTF-8. Two examples below are true for Linux and I hope this true for Cygwin environment too.

For LANG=en_US.utf8 and if terminal supports UNICODE you have to see

  % echo 'main(){return 0;}'>a.c
  % cc -Wall a.c
  a.c:1: warning: return type defaults to âintâ

For standard "C" locale and for *any* terminal we see only ASCII (no potential mess)

  % LC_ALL=C cc -Wall a.c
  a.c:1: warning: return type defaults to 'int'

If you set LANG variable properly and your terminal supports Unicode then you have to see normal quotes, otherwise you will see some garbage in output. So, try either to fix LANG variable or just use standard "C"
locale: append a line 'export LC_ALL=C' in your ~/.bashrc and re-login.

I do not sure about UTF-8 in Cygwin environment, but I hope LC_ALL=C has to help.

Sergei