Re: eCos arm-eabi GNU tools - test release 4.6.2-20120125

On 2012-02-24, Sergei Gavrikov <sg@scanex.ru> wrote:

> Grant, did you try *arm-eabi* toolchain for your target before?  Of
> course, if this is possible. I mean stable arm-eabi (4.3.2) toolchain
> from eCosCentric? May be you missed that CFLAGS clean-up step on 4.3.2
> migration?

No I hadn't tried the older arm-eabi toolchain and wasn't aware of any
manual CFLGAGS changes that needed to be made.  I assumed that the CDL
from CVS HEAD would use the right CFLAGS.

> Ah! So, you used old 'arm-elf' toolchain before.

Yes.

> As far I remember CFLAGS for all *arm-eabi* targets in eCos AnonCVS
> were fixed in those days (pre eCos 3.0 days). Well, there are a few
> *arm-elf* targets in eCos AnonCVS.  As I could see *arm-elf* based
> are sa11x0, pid, aeb, and ebsa285.

I don't understand.  If the FreeBSD code requires
-fno-strict-aliasing, shouldn't the CDL for the FreeBSD package take
care of that?

> Well, I believe that we will rid all warnings at the end :-) More
> warnings means that the newest compiler is more pedantic and IMHO, that
> is good for programmers, but not for their elder code :-)

Indeed.  All of my code, including my HAL, compiles cleanly with
either compiler -- it's the standard code I just grabbed from CVS that
I was talking about.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I joined scientology
                                  at               at a garage sale!!