Re: Questions about CodeSourcery g++ Lite tool chain and eCos

Hi Eigil,

On 05.04.2011 10:57, Eigil Krogh Sørensen wrote:
. Is it possible to use CodeSourcery g++ Lite toolchain for eCos? I would like to use that because the compiler is newer, gcc-4.5.1, than the gnutools for ARM, that comes with eCos, gcc-4.3. gcc-4.5. can make code ARM11 and Cortex-R/A.

. Can CodeSourcery g++ Lite toolchain be used together with eCos config tool in Windows?

. Which version of the CodeSourcery g++ Lite toolchain should be used with eCos?

I have succesfully used Sourcery G++ Personal to compile and link eCos in Windows. The graphical config tool works. I assume the latest version of SG++ Lite also works, but you'll have to test this.

It is a bit of a hassle, though.

1. SG++ is a native Windows program, meaning it expects Windows paths. Fortunately, it also supports CygWin paths. To enable this, the "cygpath" utility (installed with CygWin) must be made available:

1.1 Append your CygWin "/bin" directory to Windows path (right-click on My Computer, select "Properites", "Advanced", "Environment variables").

e.g. PATH="other stuff;C:\cygwin\bin"

1.2 Add a Windows system variable named "CYGPATH". Set it's value to "cygpath".

1.3 Start a new CygWin termial, verify that Bash shell can see both changes you made.

2. You need to add SG++ system headers to eCos. Before you do this the project should be cleaned.

In eCos configuration tool, under "Configuration", "Global build options", "Global compiler flags" following options should be added:

-isystem /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/CodeSourcery/Sourcery\ G++\ Lite\lib/gcc/m68k-elf/4.3.3/include
-isystem /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/CodeSourcery/Sourcery\ G++\ Lite\lib/gcc/m68k-elf/4.3.3/include-fixed

This assumes SG++ is installed to "C:\Program Files\CodeSourcery\Sourcery G++ Lite" and the GCC version is 4.3.3. Update this to match your setup.

3. Then ask the linker to not use it's standard library. Click on "Global linker flags". Add flag "-nostdlib".

Now save the configuration and select "Build", "Generate build tree".

4. Do not start the build from within configtool because it will not pass environment variables to compiler.

Instead, start a CygWin terminal, navigate to your eCos build directory, cross your fingers and type "make -j4".

I may have forgotten some details, but this should be the bulk of it.

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse