STM32 hal_start_clocks

I've been trying to familiarise myself with the STM32 HAL, with a view
to trying to get something (anything!) running on the STM32-Discovery
board that was mentioned here a little while ago.  (If anyone's got
anywhere with that, I'd be interested to hear.)

I noticed in hal_start_clocks() (line 169 in
http://hg-pub.ecoscentric.com/ecos/file/b97a185587c7/packages/hal/cortexm/stm32/var/current/src/stm32_misc.c)
that there seems to be an erroneous attempt to clear some bits.  I
assume that there's a missing bit-inversion supposed to be applied to
the AND operation, causing the two listed bits to be cleared.  I have
no working hardware to test that assertion, but from reading the
datasheet it looks like those bits are supposed to be explicitly
cleared prior to an attempt to cleanly start HSE.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?  Is there a missing ~ sign?

Cheers

Alan