Re: Porting eCos to the Atmel AT91CAP7

Christophe,

Basically, a general lack of experience with the ARM architecture,
eCos, GNU tools, and Eclipse is stopping us in the port.  It's quite a
steep learning curve trying to fit all of those pieces together and
deal with so many unknowns.

I have been working off the Atmel
AT91SAM7X256 port of eCos, because the processor is quite similar to
the AT91CAP7. Also, I have SAM7X256 sample applications (non-eCos) from
Atmel building and executing unmodified on my CAP7 board.  I am also
able to build and debug these sample apps within Eclipse thru a SEGGER
SAM-ICE JTAG debugger.

I have played with the eCos config tool
extensively, built the SAM7X256 target template, and have been trying
to execute the eCos Hello World sample. I was able to run the Hello
World app through my debugger in Eclipse, and it seemed like it was
getting stuck somewhere.  When I halted the processor I found it was
stuck in the "wait_pmc_sr_2" loop inside "hal_platform_setup.h", which
is a loop that was waiting for the PLL to lock (I was executing within
Eclipse through my JTAG debugger). Since "hal_platform_setup.h" was
SAM7-specific assembly code, I modified it with the correct
functionality for the CAP7, and it looks like I get past that point
now.

But
now I think I'm lost somewhere in vectors.S - when I execute the app,
it never gets to the breakpoint at main(), my debugger reports "remote
connection closed", and my board and JTAG debugger get into a funky
state where I need to cycle power to the board to get out of it.

That
is where I am stuck now. I have no idea how to figure out what is going
wrong.  One thing that might help is if I could set breakpoints within
vectors.S, but I can't seem to link the eCos source to the Eclipse
debug session. I have tried all sorts of different path combinations
within the "Source Lookup Path" of the Eclipse "Debug Configuration" -
the Eclipse "Problems" tab reports "Unresolved Breakpoint" for anything I set within vectors.S.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
John Korsakas