eCos Newbie stuck...

Hi fellow eCos'ers,

I am a newbie at eCos. I am taking a course on real-time operating
systems at Illinois Institute of Technology.

I have install eCos on a Windows XP system and am running the eCos
using cygwin. I am having some trouble running my first hello world
application.

I am able to compile/build my application fine with gcc (i386-elf-gcc
-g -I/opt/Aziz_install/include hello.c -L/opt/Aziz_install/lib
-Ttarget.ld -nostdlib) however I can't get the program to run on gdb.
At first I dont see anything happening, but then I get the error:

Ignoring packet error, continuing...
warning: unrecognized item "timeout" in "qSupported" response

I am running the following commands:
i386-elf-gdb -nw a.out
then at the gdb prompt, I am running:
set remotebaud 38400
target remote /dev/ttyS0

What am I doing wrong. I tried to run some of the test cases
(Tools>run tests) but they too return the same error. My goal is to be
able to simulate the running of the program as it would on a real time
system.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Aziz