Re: What causes interrupted network system calls?

On 2009-10-28, Carruth, Rusty <Rusty.Carruth@smartm.com> wrote:

> In my experience with Solaris and Linux, you should ALWAYS check for
> EINTR and retry the operation.

That's generally true.

> As I remember, you wouldn't get them often, but you could (and
> of course, it was always at the worst possible moment!).
>
> If I remember right (which may not be the case!).

I agree that re-trying the operation is probably the correct
solution, but I'm a little puzzled because

 1) in the same situation we never saw EINTR with the previous
    network stack.

 2) EINTR isn't listed as one of the possible return values for
    send(), but we seem to be getting it:
    http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-3.0/ref/net-common-tcpip-manpages-send.html

> I don't suppose you have the Stevens book?  What does it say
> about this?

I have TCP/IP Illustrated v1, but it doesn't address eCos
system call behavior.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR
                                  at               makes LONI ANDERSON'S