Re: RedBoot loading eCOS examples causes PC reboot

Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
> Peter Lanius wrote:
[snip]
> > 2. Where do I get the FTDI driver for the Olimex ARM-USB-OCD JTAG
> > for Linux? How do I install it?
>
> The below is the FTDI board related (no OpenOCD USB JTAG). The modern
> Linux kernels have modules to manage FTDI devices. Just plug in your
> board to USB port and then look on `dmesg' output.
[snip]

Peter, I'm sure that it's possible to get working Olimex USB JTAG (I
have not this JTAG) and OpenOCD working under Linux. But, you need
to have some experience with a building the GNU packages using that
'configure-make-make install' magic, i.e.

svn checkout http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk openocd

cd openocd
sh bootstrap

But just here you _can_ get a lot of a panic about some absent things:
aclocal, autoconf, autoheader, automake, libtool, etc. and I will be
very sorry if you will be sorry about a changing host OS for eCos
development

I "found" (excuse me SUSE guys)
http://software.opensuse.org/search

and enter 'openocd' in search box. It seemed for me that you can
install OpenOCD just from Web or manually (from those RPMs) and if you
have valid openocd cfg file for target board and your usb jtag, you
can try it. It seems for me that `dmesg', `lsmod', `lsusb' are good
things to know what is happened when you plug in that  USB cable.
_BUT_, you have to know that with OpenOCD you will get 2 breakpoints
limit and there won't be eCos thread support (info threads) in GDB
with OpenOCD.

IMO, with RedBoot+GDB you can get more strong debug-engine for for
your target.

Sergei