Re: DVCS choice

Perhaps a choice between git & hg is unecessary?

There are conversion tools between git/hg so the question
what to present to end users and what maintainers
use can be two different version control systems. There
could even be official git & hg mirrors regardless of
"official" choice.

You can even push/pull to/from git/hg with any combination
of client & server. Spooky! Bet there are some hitches
when you actually try that at home!

Certainly if someone has a strict policy of not using X
on the client, then there is nothing that stops them from
converting to their preferred DVCS client.

I just converted from mercurial to git on my laptop and
it took ~10-20 minutes. Used hg-fast-export.

I couldn't find any branches in the git repository, but I
suppose that there weren't any in the mercurial repository
either.

git checkout afterwards took 10 seconds or so. DVCS
is insanely much faster than CVS for those operations...

--
Ãyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html