Re: eCos VCS switch

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>>
>>> A switch of the public CVS repository to Mercurial would be a major
>>> improvement.
>>>

>> Agreed.  My initial findings are also that mercurial is the preferred
>> solution.  It is not as powerful as git, or even as fast,
>
> By "more powerful", do you mean git allows you to do anything of
> significance that hg/bzr doesn't? I didn't think there was from my own
> checking, but I'm prepared to be corrected.
>
> Or by any chance do you mean that it's more powerful/fast if you have
> the ability to remember which of the gazillion different git commands
> to use with precisely which set of arcane options. Then it's a speedy
> one-liner!
Neither. Some complex jobs may take a couple of commands in hg, but a
single command may exist in git to do that job.  That kind of "more
powerful".  Certainly there is nothing I have seen that you cannot do in
hg that you can in git.

As for the gazillion commands, I agree with your sentiments. However, I
have seen git users defend this by saying that the same exists of hg,
only you type hg before the command.  hg extensions are a simple example
:-)  However, hg help is a lot easier than "now what command was it to
..."

> Personally I would need a lot of convincing to use git. Or more
> precisely, to make the eCos community with its breadth of users with
> varying experience do so. I think it would raise the bar to using eCos
> in a very negative way.
>
> The only thing that might ameliorate it would be something like
> http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ but it seems like early days for
> that, I'm not impressed by their webpage, it seems to have restricted
> capabilities (but I may well be wrong on this count), and at best it's
> playing catch-up with the others.
I agree.  The learning curve of git is very steep which IMHO will just
get in the way of development and ease of use for the average user.  hg
have a simple set which is close to CVS anyway, so there is an ease and
familiarity of use for CVS users using hg.  I also strongly recommend
the hg book "Mercurial: The Definitive Guide" since it has a well
written explanation that helps those entrenched with CVS and SVN models
to get their head around the distributed RCS model.  Available online at
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/ and most decent bookstores.  I have found no
equivalent for git or bazaar.

We could always wait for something better to come along - this is
software, so something normally does - but then we would wait forever
and stay with an 80's RCS while the rest of the world progress.

-- Alex Schuilenburg

          **** Visit us at ESC-UK  http://www.embedded.co.uk ****
          **** Oct 7-8 on Stand 433 at FIVE ISC, Farnborough ****