Re: ecos memory footprint

On 2009-07-14, Simon Kallweit <simon.kallweit@intefo.ch> wrote:
> Mandeep Sandhu schrieb:
>
>> Anybody knows if ECOS can run in 64KB mem (or lesser) with the
>> following features:
>>
>> * USB Device/slave support
>> * SPI Driver support
>> * Networking support (for running a small webserver)
>>
>> I've not yet narrowed down on my h/w yet...but Microchips
>> PIC32MX460F128H seems promising? But the sad part is that ecos
>> doesn't show this in their list of supported h/w.
>>
>> Have ppl run ecos on microcontrollers w/o external SDRAM (I'm
>> trying to conserve power by not having ext RAM)?
>
> This will be rather tough, but probably possible. You should use the
> lwIP networking stack to keep memory usage low. Also, try to use as few
> threads as possible, as this saves you valuable stack memory.

I agree that it's probably possible, but IMO you're going to
spend a lot of time trying to make everything fit -- effort
that could be better spent on developing and testing your
application.  I'd recommend a serious look at using something
intended for a smaller footprint (XMK, FreeRTOS, uC/OS-II, etc.).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I had pancake makeup
                                  at               for brunch!