Re: Synthetic target on linux x86_64 host

Ross Younger <wry@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
> > Can synthetic target even be built with native x86_64 tools?
>
> As Andrew has said it's not a supported environment - synth predates
> x86_64 by some years - and I suspect would require a proper porting
> effort in due course.
>
> However, I did find myself poking at the synth target on my
> workstation a few weeks ago (Ubuntu 8.10, 64-bit) and was able to get
> it going, after a fashion, without very much trouble (and without
> having to know much about x86/x86_64 guts!) in order to play with some
> new code I was writing.
>
> I was using the eCos i386-elf toolchain; the syscalls and so on all
> seemed to just work thanks to x86_64's backwards compatibility (and I
> have various 32-bit compatibility libs installed, which may or may not
> have helped).
>
> I manually configured my ecos.ecc to use i386-elf, and once I had
> built eCos I had to edit target.ld by hand and remove the mention of
> libgcc_eh.a in order for my test applications to link. For debugging,
> the native gdb (not i386-elf-gcc!) just worked.
>
> Obviously, running synth cross-architecture in this way is not tested
> at all - it seemed to work for my limited purposes, and might for you,
> but if it breaks you get to keep both pieces :-)

I have also been running the synthetic target on my OpenSuSE 11.0
x86_64 system. I can do this without making any changes to eCos
sources at all.

I compile using the native "gcc" compiler, adding the -m32 flag. The
default configuration tries to use i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, so I have
put a script of that name in my path that simply contains the line
"gcc -m32 $*". I have also had to define i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar to "ar
$*". Those are the only two tools used during a build, and the
standard native "gdb" then works to debug.

Like Ross, I have the 32 bit compatibility libraries installed,
together with the development packages for some. eCos synthetic target
executables are not dynamically linked, so it may be necessary to
install the static versions of libraries you already have in dynamic
form. I simply used trial and error to work out which libraries were
needed: try a build, work out which header or library is missing, find
out which RPM it comes from, install that and repeat. The exact
combination will obviously depend on how a specific distribution
divided things up into packages, and what you might already have
installed.

--
Nick Garnett                                       eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited    http://www.eCosCentric.com       The eCos experts