Re: changing compile source in cdl based on platform

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 06:58:35PM +0000, Bart Veer wrote:

>     Tyler> FYI, I looked through the CDL guide, but could not find an
>     Tyler> answer. I apologize if it is in there, but I think I did
>     Tyler> try.
>
>     Tyler> I have a component I am adding to our eCos repository, via
>     Tyler> the CDL. One of the modules has assembly language versions
>     Tyler> for different platforms - x86, ARM, etc. I would like to
>     Tyler> know how to specify this in the CDL properly. Something
>     Tyler> like
>
>     Tyler> cdl_option CYG_USE_ASM {
>     Tyler>     compile  {
>     Tyler>         if is_defined(HAL_ARM) {
>     Tyler>             arm_version.S
>     Tyler>         }
>     Tyler>         if is_defined(HAL_X86) {
>     Tyler>             x86_version.S
>     Tyler>         }
>     Tyler>     }
>     Tyler> }
>
>     Tyler> I know these are really just Tcl scripts, but I am not
>     Tyler> familiar enough with Tcl to know the proper syntax, and I
>     Tyler> thought it would be easier for somebody on this list to
>     Tyler> give me an example.
>
> Right now there is no easy way of doing this. The syntax should be
> something like:
>
>   cdl_option CYG_USE_ASM {
>       when { CYGPKG_HAL_ARM } {
>           compile arm_version.S
>       }
>       when { CYGPKG_HAL_I386 } {
>           compile  x86_version.S
>       }
>   }
>
> But as with many other parts of the CDL language, the "when" property
> is not currently implemented it. There are two work-arounds:
>
> 1) create some dummy calculated options and put the compile properties
>    in there.
>
>    cdl_component CYG_USE_ARM {
>        cdl_option CYG_USE_ASM_ARM {
>            calculated CYGPKG_HAL_ARM
> 	   compile arm_version.S
>        }
>        cdl_option CYG_USE_ASM_I386 {
>            calculated CYGPKG_HAL_I386
> 	   compile x86_version.S
>        }
>    }
>
>    The disadvantage is that you end up with yet more "options" which
>    serve no real purpose, i.e. which clutter up the display in the
>    configtool but cannot be changed by the user.
>
> 2) just build all of them, but put #ifdef's in each module, e.g. in
>    arm_version.S:
>
>      #include <pkgconf/system.h>
>      #ifdef CYGPKG_HAL_ARM
>      <main body of file>
>      #endif
>
>    The disadvantage is that you end up compiling more files than
>    needed, but compiling a file that ends up all #ifdef'd out adds
>    very little to the system build time.
>
> On the whole I would prefer option (2).

Nice tutorial! I would prefer option (2) too. I wonder will it work

cdl_option CYGBLD_BUILD_FOO_ARM {
    requires { is_substr(CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX, "arm" }
    compile arm_version.S
}

cdl_option CYGBLD_BUILD_FOO_I386 {
    requires { is_substr(CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX, "i386" }
    compile x86_version.S
}

Thank you,

Sergei