Re: DHCP failing due to missing VLAN tagging support

> In Linux this is achieved by inserting a layer between the Ethernet
> driver and the IP stack. For each VLAN you create an additional
> interface and bind it to the IP stack above. The layer then
> adds/removes the VLAN tags and passes them down to the ethernet
> driver.
>
> You could use a similar architecture in eCos. Better still would be to
> look at how a modern FreeBSD stack does it and try to move the code
> across. You need "userspace" tools to create the interfaces etc. This
> would be some ioctl calls, which your application then needs to call.

We're kinda leaning towards Linux for all bells and whistles networking
capabilities and eCos for simpler hardware. Our solution will be to
add something to the manual about VLAN and that seems to satisfy
the customer too.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html