Re: Any developments in thread-aware JTAG debugging?

Grant Edwards wrote:
The last time I checked, thread-aware debugging was only
available via the gdb-stubs in RedBoot and not via any of the
JTAG interfaces.

Is that still the case?

[I'm primarily interested in ARM and NIOS2 targets.]

The Lauterbach debugger has something which passes for it, although I'm a bit sceptical of whether it's adaptable to some particular kernel configurations. Possibly unwarranted.

eCos still has extensions to allow use of the ARM Multi-ICE (if you can still find one!). http://ecos.sourceware.org/multi-ice.html

It's probably only a matter of time before someone does something with openocd, probably involving the qSymbol remote protocol packet.

I have been known to do horrible things with the output of (if I remember right) something like for example: *(*Cyg_Scheduler_Base::current_thread)->list_next->list_next->saved_context

For extra points, you then set $sp and $pc (and possibly any frame pointer or other necessary registers) in GDB to the values in that context and you can do a backtrace. Remember to put them back before you continue though :-).

Oh yes, I've had to debug hard problems :-).

It might be possible to do this in a GDB macro, but I haven't tried - not sure GDB's macro language is up to it.