Re: Any adive on using Boost++ on eCos?

Papa Legba wrote:

Frank Pagliughi wrote:
Papa Legba wrote:
Looking to switch away from VxWorks (eCos looks ideal) and at the same
time
use the Boost++ State machine classes.
Some parts of Boost use RTTI, and many parts make heavy use of dynamic memory, so even if you get it to compile and run, you could have heap issues, depending on your platform.

And the Boost state chart classes seem to have been written more for completeness and compatibility with UML designs, and less for efficiency. In particular, every state is an object and each state change causes the destruction of the old state and the construction of the new state. Every state change.

If you're going to make heavy use of the advanced features of the state chart library, it might be worth the effort, but for simpler state machines, you can probably find another library that's more appropriate for use with an RTOS.

Thank, you, Frank. Yes, I am a little concerned about heap usage. I don't
like the dynamic creation & deletion of states, etc and the whole thing, on
closer investigation, seems to be hideously over-complex for my needs.

I think that I will look for something a lot simpler and more static.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Check out Quantum Leaps QP state machine frameworks. They are pretty nice for embedded systems, and they come with GPLv2 or a commercial license. Also have a look at the state map compiler project.

Simon