Re: eCos on STR9 ?

On 8/12/08, Christian Jaeger <christian@jaeger.mine.nu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  My interest is in running an OS on STR9 (STR9xFA, STR911/STR912). There is
> no mention of these chips whatsoever in the CVS sources, and the only
> information regarding running eCos on the STR9 has been the following posts
> by a few people interested in this, but it seems there has still nothing
> come out of this.
>
> (http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-devel/2006-06/msg00017.html
> or better: )
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ecos-devel@ecos.sourceware.org/msg00160.html
>
>  and:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-devel/2007-01/msg00001.html
>
>  I don't currently have more than maybe a day of time to invest into
> gettting eCos to run on the STR9, otherwise I'll go with another OS (for
> now, anyway). I don't need ethernet functionality, only SPI and some
> manually toggled I/O as well as PWM and variable frequency pulse output (I
> guess I'd do the latter things myself anyway; btw if possible I'd like to
> use all four timers for my application, although one of them could run at a
> constant frequency and so could probably also be used to generate ticks) and
> the usual reset and memory/irq routine setup stuff; how difficult would it
> be to get that much of eCos to run? I don't have previous programming
> experience with the STR9 nor with eCos.

I did a port of eCos to the STR912FW a year or so ago.  It took me
about two weeks to get a basic system working.  It was my first port,
and I cut a few corners along the way, but it ended up working well.
I didn't have a JTAG debugger so I was reduced to bringing up the
startup code and serial console by using a combination of LEDs, coffee
and late nights.  I'm no longer involved with the company so I don't
know the current status of the port, but I don't believe the source is
available.

Rob.