Re: Problem when debugging via gdb over ethernet

Guenter Ebermann wrote:
Gary Thomas wrote:
Guenter Ebermann wrote:
However if I add a diag_printf between a eth_drv_start() and
eth_drv_stop() my system crashes again. Although I think this
situation is handled correctly in eth_io.c (the console and debug
interface in the redboot), because it reverts to the original
console if a ethernet write or read returned with failure.
I think this error is in the ethernet driver implementation (if_fec.c
MPC5200's FEC driver implementation) of my platform. Anyway,
I think we could live with this for now, because we can also handle
this at application level.
Can you elucidate? Where is this diag_printf() that causes the error?

I added the diag_printf after a call to eth_drv_stop() just to see if the RedBoot ROMRAM debug stub can cope with this possible situation. The same thing will happen if a application e.g. disables the ethernet interface with an ioctrl.

IMO, that's not something to worry about - this is an "operator error"

Where did you get the mpc5200 (if_fec.c) support?  It's not in the
public tree...

We got it by buying an evaluation board called BOA board from Analog and Micro to evaluate before building our own hardware. It already comes with a ported eCos for the mpc5200. It seems the ethernet driver if_fec.c was derived from another one written by yourself, because it still contains "gthomas" in the copyright header :-).

Thanks for the info