Re: Re: "PANIC: zinit: Out of memory" when num sockets increased to 64

Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2008-04-09, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

Several other people seem to have tripped over this bug.  IMO,
the problem is that the default value takes the number of
sockets into account, and the description claims that value is
guaranteed to allow the network stack to start up.

One presumes that the minimum value required for stack startup
could be calculated at configure time based on the max number
of sockets.  Since that isn't being done, should I submit a
patch that would change the description so that it doesn't say
that it is?
Or, better yet, improve the CDL so it behaves as folks expect :-)

That would definitely be better. I presume if the formula for the required amount of memory were known somebody would have fixed the CDL already.

Is it practical to figure out how much is required by
statically examining the source code, or would it be simpler to
just do it emperically/experimentally?

The formula that's in place was done by me, examining the code. I think the problem is that since I made that analysis, additional terms have been introduced (e.g. back then, there was no/little notion of file descriptors). These terms should be figured into the result. Of course, it gets a bit tricky as one wants the number to "work" regardless of the configuration (e.g. you _might_ build a system where there is no file system, so the number of file descriptors is unknown, but you still want the computation to be correct).

It's this sort of "moving target" (new features, variable
configurations, ...) that have made some configuration metrics
a bit hard to manage.  For example, why must one increase the
number of open files in [at least] two places, when surely one
should suffice?

Anything you can do so suggest improvements will surely be
useful and considered for adoption.