Re: What should I concern when using eCos in commercial products?

On 2008-01-25, wangcui <iucgnaw@msn.com> wrote:

> After long time of evaluation of eCos, I'm totally attracted
> by it and the community. I'd like to use it in our new
> products, but I wander is it absolutely royalty free?

Yup.  Absolutely.

> Anything should be concerned?

Here's one guy's opinions...

 1) It can be used under Windows+Cygwin, but it's less work and
    more reliable under Linux.  Even if you're not an
    experienced Linux user, in the long run you'll probably
    spend less time installing and learning to use Linux that
    you will spend wrestling with Cygwin and Windows
    problems.[1]

 2) Don't depend on the GUI configurator.  Learn the basics of
    CDL and how to use the command-line admin/config tools.
    That too will pay many benefits in the long run.

eCos is, at the core, a shell-script, makefile, command-line,
unix-centric development environment.  Embrace that rather than
fight it, and life will be easier.

[1] Don't think I'm trying to dis Cygwin. It's an amazing piece
    of work, and I still find it hard to beleive that it works
    as well as it does.  But it's trying to do something very,
    very difficult (make Windows act "sanely" from a Unix point
    of view).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Do you like
                                  at               "TENDER VITTLES?"?