Re: How to use the simulators

Please keep messages on the mailing list so that others may follow the
conversation and it is archived for future reference.

"badiu raz" <razone@gmail.com> writes:

> On 06 Nov 2007 15:54:37 +0000, Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

> > The simulators in GDB were mostly designed to allow the compiler
> > writers to test their code. Therefore most simulators don't implement
> > all of the instruction set, and don't have any device support.
> >
> > Some simulators are more complete. As Andrew says, the TX39 simulator
> > is fully functional, as is the PowerPC simulator, although you have to
> > configure it correctly.
> >
> > If you cannot use the Linux synthetic target, then an alternative is
> > to use a PC emulator like Bochs or Qemu. Just treat it like a PC and
> > build eCos to boot from floppy.
>
> I`ve tried that macro but still it doesnt work:( I`ve also used Bochs
> and qemu but something strange is happening: i`ve built the imagine
> using the redboot packages and imported redboot_FLOPPY.ecm from the
> latest version and from the version 2.0  and the redboot image cannot
> be read by either programs not even when i try mounting it with Daemon
> Tools. Do I need to convert it to img file format or the bin format is
> the same thing?

You need to install the binary (.bin file) onto a floppy disk image
and get the emulator to boot from that. It should just behave like a
standard PC. Make sure that the emulator's config file is set up
correctly for floppy boot, no hard disk. You may need to enable
logging to see what the emulator is doing.

It may be worth writing the binary it to a real floppy and trying it
out on a real PC to check that it works first, and give you some idea
of what to expect.

I would avoid using 2.0, work only from the current CVS sources.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited     http://www.eCosCentric.com/   The eCos experts